Berkeley County First Steps
Lead Parent Educator, Parents As Teachers
About Berkeley County First Steps
The mission of the Berkeley County First Steps Partnership Board is to improve the early childhood development of Berkeley County children by providing resources and leadership to assist families in preparing their children to reach school healthy and ready to succeed through community partnerships and collaboration.
Position Summary: To provide the information, support, and encouragement that parents need to help their child develop optimally during the crucial early years of life. Also, to provide education in the form of personal visits, group meetings, screening, and linkages to a network of resources for parents and children.
This incumbent will be expected to promote and adhere to the following BCFS workplace core values:
- As servant leaders we value families, their inherent strengths, resilience, and ability to learn, grow and reach their fullest capacity.
- We have a culture of learning that promotes compassion, innovation, best practices, and continuous improvement.
- We have a culture of progress that celebrates and encourages excellence.
All work to be completed in accordance with Berkeley County First Steps organizational standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following. The organization reserves the right to add to, delete, change, or modify the essential duties and responsibilities at any time:
- Implements the Parents As Teachers (PAT) Curriculum model. Using the PAT model, supports parent-child interactions and offers information and activities that align with the family’s goals.
- Provides leadership and direction to the Parents as Teachers Program.
- Ability to manage team of PAT Educators.
- Assign caseload for each PAT Educator.
- Maintain all PAT credentials.
- Provide developmentally appropriate information, activities, and screenings for PAT families,
- and will be cross trained in Early Identification (Babynet/ChildFind) eligibility and referral procedures.
- Provide home visits and group meetings, encouraging strong parent-child relationships in a safe and nurturing environment.
- Perform screenings yearly on all participating PAT children.
- Provide individual reflective supervision and provide monthly staff meetings for all Educators.
- Stay in contact and attend monthly meetings with South Carolina First Steps and/or PAT national office to receive updates on the program and ensure that local program is successfully working toward meeting all essential requirements for PAT and maintaining model fidelity.
- Complete monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting requirements for PAT program.
- Complete annual Affiliate Performance Report (APR) for PAT national office.
- Apply for and manage grant opportunities.
- Participate in home visiting training.
- Participate in in-service trainings with the agency.
- Participate in annual Parenting conference,
- Participate in Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQ) Screening Tool Training.
- Recruit families to maintain full caseload (community events, collaborate with community
- organizations, etc.)
- Remain current on best practices in the field of early childhood and home visitation strategies to stay current with issues.
- Takes part in additional tasks assigned by Executive Director and Program Director.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood, Child Development or Human services area required. Masters in ECE/human services preferred. Applicants with one to two years of experience in working with families will be considered. Experience related to home visiting, early childhood development, and/or working with families required. Supervisory experience required.
Special skills/Training: Excellent oral/written communication skills; confidence working and speaking with children, parents, families and members of the health and social services community, ability to multitask and adapt to changing environments quickly, and initiative to work independently is required. Competency with the computer, especially Microsoft Office applications and the Internet, is a necessity.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: PAT PE Lead Position
Deadline to apply: Extended