Parents as Teachers
Parents who participate in the Parents as Teachers program will improve their knowledge of their child’s readiness for school and prepare their children to reach school healthy and ready to succeed. We help parents to become the best teacher their child will ever have.
First Steps 4K Program
Four-year-old children of Berkeley County can receive high quality education at no cost at child care centers where Berekely County First Steps provides training and technical assistance for teachers and directors.
Nurturing Parenting Program
Our vision is that every child enters kindergarten safe, healthy, ready to succeed and eager to learn. We invite and seek partnerships with community stakeholders who value a bright future for all young children in the Lowcountry. When our vision is fully realized, we will see all young children’s needs being met, including early childhood education, physical and mental health, and family support.
At Berkeley County First Steps We Are Committed To:
- serving the hardest to reach children and families first and providing them access to the highest quality services.
- ensuring that resources are sufficiently allocated to provide high quality services for every age from birth to five.
- all children entering school are healthy and ready to learn.
- a holistic approach to family and children’s needs.
- ensuring that family engagement and partnership is integrated and embedded in all early childhood programs and services.
- striving for an early childhood system that is transparent easily navigated and accessed by the families it is intended to serve.
- ensuring that all children have well-educated and well compensated teachers.
- ensuring that the learning and care continuum from birth to third grade is aligned, allows for smooth and effective transitions, and reflects best practices.